Symptoms of addiction to sex
These are the signs of sexual addiction:
- The need to increase the frequency of sexual activities,
- Restlessness, irritability, hostility or anxiety if unable to engage
in the behavior,
- The majority of the time is spent engaging in a sexual behavior or arranging to engage in the behavior,
- Being preoccupied with or persistently craving sex,
- Thinking of sex to the detriment of other activities or continually
engaging in excessive sexual practices despite a desire to stop,
- Neglecting obligations such as work, school or family in pursuit of sex,
- Uncontrollable sexual desire.
Different sex addictions
It might seem irrelevant to speak of "sexual addiction", since it takes
many different forms. Each of the following forms could be considered as
a specific addiction:
- The addiction to pornography,
- The addiction to erotic fantasies (fantasies invading the life of the addict),
- The addiction to prostitution,
- The addiction to sexual conquest,
- The addiction to paraphilic behavior (exhibitionism, voyeurism, sexual sadism, masochism, fetishism),
- Addiction to sex with a stranger,
- Addiction to a person.
Treating sex addiction
The most appropriate treatment of sexual
addiction is psychoanalytic
psychotherapy or psychoanalysis.
The participation in a support group can help too.